03 March 2010

rudeness comes in many forms

Today has been a great day... no... today was a great day till i met this friend of mine, she went to THE same church as I did when I was in junior college, just for a few months and now, we are colleagues, we rarely saw one another at work but today, as I was walking out of a shopping center in Los Angeles with another colleague, I thought I saw someone I knew, so I gave a second glance. You know when you see someone you know, you give a nod or a smile, simply a gesture to acknowledge one another, as I was about to do that, she stared at me, cold as stone, so I was surprised when she called out to me.

No hi, no how are you, no how have you been. 'Do you know J is back for good?' she asked. I just nod my head and said yeah, then this caucasian guy friend of hers just butt in. 'She's tall,' he murmured while giving me a 'I hate you' look. 'Hi,' I said and rolled my eyes. In my head, I was murmuring back: 'Yes, I am tall and you are short... very short and you have bad breath too.' All right, that is mean but why should I bother giving someone a little respect when he doesn't bother to do so to anyone else. My friend look at him and shrugged her shoulders as if I was the one in the wrong for being who I am.

As I walked away, she took a long glance at me, sweeping her eyes from my head... to toes, as if she would find flowers growing out of my head, knives protruding out of my body or maybe a mermaid's tail instead of my feet. 'Did you see how she looked at you just now?' my friend gasped in surprise, not believing at the kind of rudeness I have just endured. I sighed and told her that there was no point getting angry over such people. Just because she was in some furry and fudgy coat, out with some short and pudgy caucasian guy, she think she is at the top of the world and looking down at the rest of us. I personally think her rudeness was worse than any words that could have been said and for that, she doesn't deserve her name - Lily.

No comments:

Post a Comment