18 November 2008

I Overcame... Myself

Returning from Sydney, I discovered a new part of me, a part of me that never existed. I never knew that I was so strong, so determined, so fearless and so unafraid of death... And I was proud of myself.

A booking was made before I flew to Sydney, a lesson to learn how to body surf. I was really excited when I first made the booking (at that moment, I just wanted to keep myself occupied). But after seven hours of working and touching down in Sydney, it really seemed like a bad idea. Moreover, the weather was not as sunny and warm as I had hoped, and the chilly wind blew like no body's business. I was so tempted to call the surf school to cancel the lesson but something tugged at me, it made me wonder too. Was it need to keep myself occupied? Was it because surfing was the main reason I came to Sydney? Was it my determination that refused to lose out to my fatigue? Or was it just plain stubbornness?

It did not matter what the reason was, what was important - I went. Wearing the only clothing I brought along with me (One pathetic set since it was a two day trip) - an extremely short overall with a singlet, I marched towards my destination. Though I was tired but I could not help feeling the excitement slowly overcoming my fatigue. Due to the cool weather, I decided on a bus to the ferry terminal, and boy, was I glad that I made that decision, since it got much cooler after my hour long bath. From the ferry terminal, a ferry was to be taken to Manly Beach. The trip there was lovely and I regretted not bringing my new camera along, so I silently promised myself that this will not be the last time that I was going to be on the ferry (After my surfing lesson, definitely not!). 

Upon reaching Manly Beach ferry terminal, I took a slow walk through the Corso, reaching the only sand-colored hut standing on the beach. Changing into the ice-cold wet suit made me shiver from head to toe. The lesson was to be started and having a cute instructor whose eyes was as blue as the sky made me smile to myself once in awhile. I was surprised that Brandon went through the logic and theory of how a rip and wave is created and how one should take advantage of the rip or was it the wave (Oops, DEFINITELY WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION... which I do regret when I started to surf) to place ourselves in a position that would make it possible to surf.

After much detailed explanation which none registered in that brain of mine. We stepped into the ice-cold sea, ready for our first very cool surf, what we did not expect was how much we had to paddle out to the sea in order to ride the wave. Within fifteen minutes of 'dog paddling' which is what Brandon named my way of paddling, I was TIRED, with arms aching, I was resting on my soft board most of the time rather than paddling. Poor Brandon had to keep pushing me towards the right direction (which is practically what he did most out of our two hour lesson). The further I paddled out, the more worried I was, as I had never been so far out at sea since I have always been a bad swimmer, but something gave me the push I needed, I think it was having Brandon next to me, my life buoy, I knew my chance of drowning would be lesser with me right next to me and I was thankful for having a patient and great instructor like him. =) 

When it was time to ride, I barely made it to a stand and when each wave hit me, I was swallowing so much sea water that I was feeling the need to puke! Brandon kept reminding me to keep my mouth closed so that I would not be swallowing so much water, I guessed I looked like a silly goldfish most of the time, not to mention my crazy hairstyle after being attacked by the waves so many time.

Even when I was near the shore (the sea was barely up to my knee), whenever a big wave came sloshing by, I toppled with the board pulling me along and, I was like a small doll, rolling and swallowing sea water with each fall, gasping for breath most of the time. But I did not give up and paddled out to the back again like a crazy woman behind Brandon. Each paddle brought me further out to the sea but I was not afraid, I was looking forward to the next ride which I might finally be able to surf like a "real" surfer. Finally, though only once, I rode low on my soft board once without Brandon's help. Yeah man, I did!!

And that one ride made everything worthwhile. Have you ever had such ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment