13 December 2009

Broadway Beng!

When a friend invited me to watch the musical, Broadway Beng, I didn't know what to expect except for the fact that his hair dresser mentioned that it was hilarious!



I myself have never been a great speaker of dialects although I was exposed to quite a number of Hokkien, Teochew and Cantonese-speaking adults since young.  Watching the musical brought back memories of my childhood, where my grandparents tried to ask me something in Teochew or Cantonese, I would try my very best to reply in the same language, but in broken phases which would make the rest of the adults roar with laughters.

The musical was definitely a hit with the Hokkien songs and continuous rattling of funny jokes, usually due to the mispronunciation of the language itself. I was pleasantly surprised by the singing talents of the cast and of the main character himself.

Now like my friend, I might get interested in some "Hokkien gua" myself! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment