18 October 2009

Amsterdam

Bicycles... that were the only objects that came to my mind whenever I though of Amsterdam, bicycles seem to be one of the preferred transportation tools,  so commonly used that there are tracks just meant for cyclists and it can get quite annoying when you have to keep watching out for bicycles all the time. Amsterdam has never been a city of interest to me till now.

This time I was looking forward to discover the beauty hidden within Amsterdam. The hotel which I am putting up in is situated in a great location, right in the smack of the city. I arrived in the morning and was quite determined to shower and head out for breakfast in one of the cafes nearer to the hotel. But the pillows and bed was just too comfortable and hard to resist, I visited the dreamland the moment I sat on the bed.

Oh well, it was a good rest anyway. I felt refreshed after an hour nap and decided to take a walk to the Amsterdam Centraal railway station, I have been there before but not on foot, the route that I took brought me past the famous red light district area whose activities seem to have dwindled compared to the last time I was here, there used to be many women sitting behind panels of windows, and waiting to be approached... and these 'windows'' were known as 'fish tanks'.



Amsterdam has many canals and people do travel on small boats and such, but for a different reason when compared to Venice, it was more for leisure. I was blessed with clear skies for both of the days that I was there, it was sunny but still chilly. Under the clear blue skies and white clouds, the great architectures seem to stand out even more.



Amsterdam is one of the cities that you would be able to see rainbow flags hanging from the shops...etc, and it is great to be in a place where most people are able to accept others for what they are. It makes me feel 'free''  to do anything, being set free from all rules and regulations which I do find suffocating on my little island from time to time, but I still love it.





I managed to find the cafe that I was looking for - Latei. It is a unique cafe which sells great cakes and coffees, to add to that, if you find anything you fancy in the cafe, you can buy it!



A few years ago, back home, there was an advertising firm that placed colorful cows all over the island, when I went Manchester, I found colorful statues of lamb, and look what I found here, elephant statues! Each with their unique colors and patterns =)





As the weather turned chilly, I headed back to the hotel along the banks of the canals. I was still feeling the fatigue from the flight, so I decided to rest early and head out early tomorrow to the 'the 9 streets' where shops are placed along the streets in the shape of a tic-tac-toe.







While walking to my destination, I came across a fun fair being held at one of the tourist square, I am always quite lucky to bum into such events and festivals. These events always bring about lots of good food and beautiful pictures.





The 9 streets were lined with shops selling vintage clothing, toys, bags, books, furniture, black vinyl records...etc It was an interesting street filled with much surprises, being the usual shopaholic-queen, I had to buy something and I did *laughing*. I came across a shop selling old vintage suitcases and I fell for a light brown one which I wanted to use for work but now, taking a second look at it (back in my room), I doubt I will be able to use it at ease, the brown was far too light and it was a little too big. Hmmm, I guess I will find a time to use it one fine day. Not to forget, my Le Coq Sportif shoes, a pair of dark brown shoes with soft fur that wraps around your ankles, this is the pair of shoes that will keep my feet warm and snug this winter, I can 'see' the images of myself wearing the shoes for my very next trip. It definitely did burn quite a hole in my pocket... well well...







I met a pair of cute shetland sheepdogs out with their owner for a walk, the lady owner could speak a little english and was very friendly, I was allowed to pat and play with the dogs, they were a mother and daughter duo, they seem small in size compared to my Tiger (my shetland sheepdog!!!!), and I started to miss Tiger and wished he was here to make new friends too =)



By the time I finished touring the streets, which I think I did, because I was lost while wandering from one street to another without making a mental note of where I had been. I was hungry, so I popped into one of the cafes that I was eyeing awhile ago, ordered a ice-cold beer and a beemster salad. Beemster is a kind of cheese, hard cheese I would say... like... Parmesan. Rocket leaves salad with cubed potatoes dressed lightly in cream, topped with juicy tomato slices and shaved ham, of course not forgetting the shaved beemster cheese which added the extra 'oomph' to the whole salad. On the whole, it was a 9/10 salad, it was healthy, delicious and not too filling.





Amsterdam... a place where the skies are so blue, clouds are so white, a place where colors are seen everywhere, it will always hold a place in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment