18 October 2009

bLUEbERRY mUFFiNS

As mentioned earlier, I decided to go against my mum's request of not baking anything when she is not around. Well, before deciding on the bake item of the day, I did take into account that there would be no helper this time round to help me wash and clear up the mess. Heh.

I went through the list of pastries that I wanted to try out mentally and it seems that blueberry muffins was the best choice. I had two boxes of frozen blueberries in my freezer and it was time to use it!

It was the first time I am baking muffins and I have no idea what to expect since I rarely ate muffins myself. My only worry was that the muffins would be soggy after the blueberries thawed.

It was an easy recipe, A+B=C, wet and dry ingredients were mixed separately in 2 bowls, and then combined together to form a muffin mixture. Lastly, it was time to add the blueberries, I decided against thawing, what I did was coat the frozen berries in a thin layer of flour before adding it to the mixture, so that when it thaws in the oven, the juices seeping out would not be too watery, causing the muffins to be soggy.



I waited like a child for the outcome of the muffins, and it was better than expected, the muffins was moist inside and crunchy at the top since I added a layer of streusel topping before baking it. I couldn't help having one when it was still warm, the muffin was moist and soft on the inside, the tanginess of the blueberries went very well with the cinnamon, it was definitely worth the effort to add a layer of streusel topping as the sweet and crunchy topping added a different texture to the soft muffin.



It was good, I actually baked the muffins for Liz whom I was supposed to meet today, but I have no idea where she is! Too bad... you are missing out on the de-li-cious muffins, my friend.



Recipe adapted from montcarte
Muffins (makes around 12)

Mixture A:
3/4 stick (113.5g) unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
1 cup light brown sugar (lightly packed)
1/2 cup full cream milk
1 large egg

Mixture B:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
2 tsps cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups blueberries

Streusel Topping
2 tbsps unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
1/4 cup light brown sugar (lightly packed)
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
3 tbsps oats

1. Combine mixture A (dry ingredients) in 1 bowl and mixture B (wet ingredients) in another.
2. Combine the two mixtures together until well-blended.
3. Coat the frozen blueberries with a thin layer flour, sift away any excess flour (You may skip this step if you are using fresh blueberries).
4. Mix in the blueberries lightly.
5. Line muffin pan with muffin cups, divide the mixture equally into 12 portions.
6. Mix the streusel topping and layer it on the top of each muffin.
7. Baked muffins in a preheated oven of 400F (204 degrees C) for about 20-25 minutes.
8. Muffins can be checked by inserting a wooden stick into the muffin, if it comes out clean, the muffins are ready to be enjoyed.

Do try the muffins when it is still warm, but not hot!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment