27 September 2009

m.e.l.b.o.u.r.n.e


i set off for melbourne without much anticipation or excitement but i had plans. it was going to be my first time in melbourne without a companion since she was there. the early arrival into melbourne was what i needed, i needed a good scrub, out of my uniform, into my night slip and onto the bed. it was a chilly evening, as expected in melbourne.

after i washed up, i switched to my favorite australian channel - lifestyle food. there was a moment i was about to let my droopy eye lids close and drift off to sleep, for some reason, i forced myself to keep awake and that was a bad decision... have you ever missed 'the moment' to fall asleep and for the entire night, sleep never comes, that was what happened to me. and i lazed in bed, waiting for the alarm to ring, i set the alarm to ring at 11 a.m in the morning, just the right time for brunch. i wanted to head down to the nice little cafe right at the smack of the tram stop - middle park (i didn't know the name of the cafe...hah).

so as the alarm rang, i washed up and realize something was not right...
i forgot to set myalarm to the melbourne which meant it was at 1 noon that i woke up at... oh no... was the cafe closed? i had no idea how to get there nor the the name of the cafe thinking i would always have a companion in melbourne but i guess things change. so i went to the concierge and tried my best to describe the cafe to them and to my surprise, they managed to locate the cafe and found out that the closing hour was at 4 p.m, ample time for me to travel down and enjoy my lunch, not brunch due to my silly mistake. i was advised to hop on the tram 112 or 96.

when i got to the tram stop, 112 was right in front of me, lucky me, i thought. got onto to the tram and simply forgotten that only coins can be used, and i had like 5 bucks in coins which wasn't enough for a daily full fare zonal 1 bus card... so... i quickly pressed onto the concessional button for students and prayed that my glasses would helped to conceal my age... if possible =p

so i listened to my ipod, not knowing that this tram was not going to bring me to my destination... the tram stopped at st.kildas, did i miss the stop? hmm, i asked the conductor and she told me that it was better if i caught tram 96 across the street and that was what i did, as i got onto tram 96, one stop, two stop, okay, am i still in zone 1? as i was deciding to hop off and asked for further directions, the small little cafe appeared in my sight, yes!



i gleefully hopped off the tram and skipped into the cafe, smell of pancakes and warm coffee filled my entire being, ahhh, i am finally here. i settled for the seat facing the tennis court, like the last time, looked through the menu and discovered new choices, nice... i like trying new things. after much deliberation, i was struggling between the triple pancakes drizzled with belgium chocolate, sprinkled with roasted hazelnuts and topped with vanilla bean mascarpone or the organic poached eggs with smoked salmon and spinach on sourdough bread with cucumber, shallots and dill dressing. my stomach was starting to growl, i had to make a decision, poached eggs with salmon it is, and a cup of chai tea. why did i choose poached eggs with salmon? because i could make the triple pancakes myself, with the same toppings and all =)




when my order came, it looks good, more than good, it was great, i couldn't wait to dive in. as the folk sinked into the poached eggs, and out flow the yellow yolk onto the sourdough bread, i broke off part of the bread, dipped it into the yolk and into my mouth, the warm and creamy yolk matched perfectly with the sourdough bread which was toasted and the bread was full of surprise itself, it was full of grains and pine nuts, delish! the smoked salmon went well with the spinach and dill dressing which i tried to make out what was in it - cucumber, onions, dill which was visible, and from the taste, there should be lemon, olive oil, sea salt and a tinge of pepper, it was a refreshing contrast to the creaminess of the yolk. i have to say it was a big portion for me but nevertheless, i finished every single item on the plate. i was filled to the brim...

with happiness...


p.s - photos taken with my blackberry phone, but i like the way it came out

No comments:

Post a Comment